The ultimate lift kit for your LandCruiser is now available:
- 6" (150mm) lift under the axle
- Engineered to suit 35" tyres on 17" & 18" wheels
- GVM increased to 3950kg for 79 series, 3780kg for 76 & 78 series
- Track increased by 80mm
- Air operated free wheeling hubs
- Rear axle track corrected to match the front axle
- Transmission drum hand brake on transfer case
- Heavy duty one piece swivel housings
- Slotted brake rotors & ceramic brake pads
- Stainless braided brake lines
- 2nd stage manufacture compliant
- Legal in all states of Australia
The Portal Axles are designed to suit the following vehicles;
- VDJ76, VDJ78, VDJ79
- GRJ71, GRJ76, GRJ78, GRJ79
Portal Axles - standard kit for brand new GXL model with factory diff locks, ABS and ESC:
- Portal axles built onto your diffs
- Front and rear portal axle assemblies - 16% reduction
- Second stage of manufacturing compliance
- Forged chrome molly heavy duty spindles
- High performance Delios slotted brake rotors front and rear
- High temperature brake pads
- ADR approved stainless steel braided brake lines
- Air operated free wheeling hubs
- GVM upgrade
- Breathers for Portals and diff housings
- ARB High Output Air Compressor and mounting bracketry
- Rubber wheel arch flare & wire retainer for front wheels
Breakdown of Portal Axle build on a brand new vehicle
- Brand new front and rear axle assemblies
- Axle housings are checked for straightness and straightened if required
- Additional bracing welded to housing and re-checked for straightness
- Axle housings, swivel housings, struts and portal housings painted prior to assembly
- Diff centre fitted with
- Ring and Pinion ratio changed if requested
- Factory diff lock or of fitment TJM, ARB or EATON if required
- Swivel housings fitted using new king pin bearings and knuckle seals
- Additional king pin bearing in the form of a ball joint fitted below the lower king pin
- Front axle assembled using all new CV joints, axles, gears, shafts, bearings and seals
- Slotted high performance brake rotors front and rear
- LandCruiser 4 pot front and single pot rear brake calipers
- High temperature brake pads
- New ADR approved braided brake lines replacing all rubber hoses
Key Features of the Portal Axles
- Comfort, comfort & comfort - now you can lift your vehicle and not sacrifice the on road ride quality.
- With the addition of 35" tyres the total increase in ground clearance is approximately 150mm (6") over standard
- When 35" tyres are fitted, the differential to ground clearance is equivalent to having a standard live axle fitted with 43" tyres
- Improved articulation is also experienced due to the increase in the vehicle track
- Less body sway is also experienced due to the standard height springs and retention of the sway bars.
- The 16% gear reduction offers this same percentage increase in strength to all of the transmission components from the CV joints back to the engine
- Each transmission holds approximately 450ml of oil
- The oil supplied with the portal assemblies is high quality full synthetic
- The portal axle assemblies are supplied with breather hoses, manifold, and filters
- Portal vehicles have undergone brake and lane change testing and have easily passed all the required tests.
Ground Clearance and Track
The portal transmissions have a vertical offset of 101mm (4"), this 101mm lift raises not only the body and chassis it also lifts the differentials by the same amount.
The portal transmissions increase the axle width by 100mm per side. Running positive 60mm offset 100/200 series LandCruiser rims moves the wheels back under the guards. The overall track of the vehicle is increased by 140mm.
The Portals are designed to run 35" tyres which gives correct steering geometry.
Reduced Bump Steer compared to Suspension Lifts
A suspension lift is not required, which keeps the control arms, and pan hard rods flat.
Many customers change to heavier springs when fitting the usual long list of off road accessories such as long range fuel tanks, water tank, drawer system, dual batteries, winch and the usual front and rear bar work etc. Good quality shock absorbers are a must due to the extra unsprung weight of the Portals and larger tyres, we have had good experience with both Ironman 4x4 and King shocks but can supply whatever shocks are specified.
One of the advantages of minimal suspension modifications is better handling due to no increase in bump steer. A softer ride can also be experienced with virtually flat control arms and better tracking due to, unchanged caster angle.
Driveline vibrations are a common experience when large suspension lifts are fitted. With minimal or no suspension lift along with reduced driveline angles, no drive shaft vibrations are experienced. This is due to the universal joints operating within their designed operating range.
Increased Driveline Strength
The torque load which is normally exerted on the differential, axles and constant velocity joints is transferred into the portal transmissions. The amount of load transferred is proportional to the gear ratio used in the transmission. The gear reduction of 1.16:1 offers a load reduction of 16%.
Oil is used for lubrication and is easily checked using the filler/level plug fitted on the differential side of each portal transmission. A drain plug is also fitted on the same side for ease of servicing. We use a high quality fully synthetic oil. You require about 3L of oil to service a Portal vehicle.
The portal transmissions are equipped with external breather ports, the extended breathers are connected and run up to the firewall. We also run your diff breathers up to the firewall as well.
ABS / ESC Equipped Vehicles
The function of the ABS & ESC systems in the Toyota 70 series remains unaffected.
Tyre Size and Offset Rims
With the Portal Axles fitted the rims required are a high positive offset rim with the LandCruiser 5 x 150 stud pattern. We have used wheels from ROH, CSA, Dynamic and genuine Toyota. Your options are as follows:
- 17 x 8 +60 offset
- 17 x 8 +50 offset
- 17 x 8 +47 offset
- 17 x 9 +47 offset
- 17 x 9 +40 offset
- 18 x 9 +47 offset
- 18 x 9 +40 offset
Tyres to suit the 17 x 8 inch rims are limited to 315/70/17, on the 17 x 9 rims you can run 315/70/17 or 35 x 12.5 R17 and on 18 x 9 rims you can run 305/70/18 or 35 x 12.5 R18.
Front Tyre Clearance
When fitting 35" tyres to Toyota LandCruiser it is necessary to trim the rear of the front flare to give clearance to turning tyres.
Wheel hubs and bearings
The front and rear wheel hubs and bearings are standard items as found in the 70 Series Toyota LandCruisers.
As there is an increase in the vehicles track of 70mm per side the tyres will protrude past the mud guards, to overcome this problem the portal axles are supplied with the necessary rubber flare and fixing screw kit on the front. On the rear we can supply fabricated guards for the cab chassis models.
GVM, GCM & towing information:
The towing capacity is 3500kg & the GCM is 6800kg
The GVM has increased from 3300kg to 3780kg or 3950kg (model dependent)
Please note: when the vehicle is loaded to GVM of 3780kg or 3950kg, the towing capacity is reduced to 2850kg or 3020kg respectfully
Penrite Pro Gear 80W-140 Full Synthetic Gear Oil
Service interval - every 10,000 km's
PORTAL AXLES FAQ
WHAT DO THE PORTAL AXLE KITS COST?
The price of portal axles installed on Toyota Landcruiser VDJ 76, 78, 79 start from approximately $45,000 which generally covers wheels/tyres & Fox suspension.
ARE PORTAL AXLES LEGAL IN ALL STATES OF AUSTRALIA?
Portal axles are legal in all states of Australia.
Pre-registration (new builds) are completed on SSM (second stage of manufacture). Post-registered vehicles can have portal axles installed with engineer certification for either NSW or QLD. The engineer will follow the SSM approval for specifications.
CAN FIT THE PORTAL AXLE KIT MYSELF ?
You’re unable to purchase a portal axle kit and fit it yourself. All portal axle kits (both second stage and post registered) must be installed in-house here at Solve Offroad and certified prior to departure.
WHERE ARE THE PORTAL AXLE KITS MADE?
Portal axles are made right here in Australia! You are supporting Australian manufacturing when you purchase Marks 4WD Portal Axles. All components are manufactured in Victoria, Australia.
SSM, WHAT DOES IT STAND FOR?
SSM stands for second stage of manufacture.
SSM only applies to new vehicles that have not been registered.
Manufacturers apply, test and meet all conditions put to them by the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities. All ADRs (Australian Design Rules) must be adhered to. SSM approvals do not affect state and territory jurisdictional requirements.
For example, Toyota Australia imports the Landcruiser in as the first stage manufacturer. It meets all Australian design rule criteria.
A Marks 4WD Portal Axle System is then installed to the Landcruiser Pre-Registration. We then apply to the Department for the new VIN plate under our SSM approval. The department then issues the VIN plate after all quality control obligations have been met. The vehicle is then recognised federally as having the equipment installed under the approval, and this is recorded on the Federal government data base. The vehicle can then be registered in any state.
If you wanted to sell your vehicle then this process is very straight forward as it can be registered in any state due to the SSM fit out.
The Booking Process
HOW MUCH DO I HAVE TO PAY TO ORDER MY AXLES?
A 50% deposit is required to secure your portal axle installation with the balance owing on the Axles due before shipment of the Axles to Solve Offroad.
WHAT IS THE LEAD TIME TO GET MY VEHICLE FITTED WITH PORTALS?
The current lead time is approximately 8-12 weeks (which can be impacted by supplier stock levels, post registration requirements and a variety of factors depending upon the overall build requirements).
HOW LONG WILL YOU NEED MY VEHICLE FOR?
Portal axle builds are usually in the workshop for 2 weeks. However it can take longer depending on the scope of the build.
CAN I ADD ACCESORIES TO MY PORTAL BUILD?
Here at Solve Offroad we cater to people wanting to build Custom 4X4 Tourers so we can absolutely help you fit our our vehicle with everything you'd like including bullbars, canopies, lights, suspension, tow bars – we can help with everything.
HOW DO I BOOK MY VEHICLE IN TO BE FITTED WITH PORTALS?
To book your vehicle in for a portal axle installation, the first step is contact our team for a quote. We will work together to organise your build and all the accessories you would like fitted. After accepting the final quote, a 50% deposit is required up front to secure your portal axle installation.
DO MY PORTAL AXLEs REQUIRE SERVICING?
Yes, servicing takes place every 10,000km or 6 months, whichever comes first.
WHAT IS THE PORTAL AXLES Warranty?
The warranty for portal axles is three years or 100,000km, whichever comes first.
READY TO PLACE YOUR ORDER?
Contact us on (02) 9677 0434 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to our team and place your order!